Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Marketer's Dream



Oh little shelves filled with useless goods and treats that I don't need, eyeing me at the checkout counter at Publix. You always manage to entice me, even just a slight glance of the eye on the off chance I might actually need something. Chapstick? No I already have about 5 in my purse...but wait, they have that new kind, yes the one clearly marked "NEW" on the label. It has SPF 100 too. Shoot maybe I should just grab a couple of those. Oh and wait, what is that I see? nail files?? Two for a $1? I really shouldn't, and yet there are still two more people in front of me waiting to pass their purchases through. Oh no, there's the new People magazine. Why yes I do want to know the latest celebrity gossip of who is anorexic these days and who just can't seem to stop putting on the pounds. Poor Kate, that princess is already getting bad headlines and yet she is so stunning. I bet Prince William coos sweet nothings in her ears at night, telling her not to mind the lies in print. Hm, what if I were a princess living with the Queen herself! Mum would be so proud. Ok, focus Nicole. Only one more person to pass through the line and then I am home clear. Wait, what's this I see? Prevention Magazine has a new walking program! And this time it will really work?! It will outline the perfect plan just for me and I will absolutely be able to follow it to the T! Yes, I must take that; I can't wait to get home and begin my new plan. Oh Ryan is going to be so happy knowing that I am finally sticking to a workout routine. Hm, where can I go get new gym clothes? Oh gosh, 2 for 1 on Reeses' Peanut Butter Cups? I mean that is a really good deal. I could put them in the freezer, just have a nibble now and then, and show extreme self control. Yes, I'll buy six now and that should last me all year. It won't be like the last time when I ate all six packets in one sitting with a bowl of ice cream while watching Harry Potter. No because now I have my walking plan ready for purchase and the cover says that it has the secrets to the top 15 ways to show self control. Everything will be different this time.

The panic sets in when I realize that the woman in front of me requires a price check. Oh God, the shelves are just staring at me now. Actually, wait...I think they might even be whispering my name. I'm trying to look everywhere, even at the bag boy who looks utterly bored with life. Oh the cashier is no help, she looks beyond annoyed and ready for her shift to end. I look down at my hands and notice them grabbing nearly everything in sight! Soon I see just about every magazine laid out on top of my groceries! And who knew that I liked so many flavors of gum! Please, somebody get this woman a price so that I can buy my groceries and be done!!

And then it happens..."paper or plastic?" Phew, just barely survived that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment